Sunday, July 31, 2016
Worship Times: 8:30 & 10:45 am
Christian Education: 9:30 am for Children, Youth & Adults
Scripture: Hosea 11:1-11 & Colossians 3:1-11
In our Sunday night youth groups, or at the end of the day either at camp or on mission trips, we often ponder the question, “Where did you see God today?” Responses can vary widely -- from the sunset, to the kindness of a stranger, to the warm hug of a friend. Once you’re in the habit, it’s easy to “see God” in the natural world or in our personal relationships…or somewhere else throughout the day. A related and maybe more challenging question might be, “What is your image of God?” Have you thought about this lately? If so, where does your image of God come from? Is it a holdover from childhood, or has it changed as you yourself have grown and changed? Some of us imagine God using symbols or qualities or words -- or something else. But in these anxious times, does it really matter? In the midst of illness, broken relationships, violence, social turmoil, acts of terrorism…at times it’s hard enough to just hold on to some kind of belief in God – so what difference does it make how we image God? This week’s scriptures may give us some clues, and if nothing else, we’ll glimpse God’s face as we gather together.
See you Sunday!
Rev. Denise Dugan, Associate Pastor of Faith Formation
Also on Sunday:
• Adult Education: 9:30 am in Friends Hall. More information on the Adult Education page.
• Thoughtful Parents: 9:30am in Room 205. More information on the Children's page
• Migrant Farmworkers Project Work Day - August 1: Read more on the Youth page.
• Back to School Sunday - August 14: Kids move up a grade, back pack blessing & All Church Picnic!!
• Blood Drive - August 15: There's a summer shortage of blood, sign up here.
• Fundraising Concert - August 20: Enjoy the music of Still on the Hill while helping kids receive music
instruments! Info & Tickets HERE.
• Habitat for Humanity-House of Abraham Project - Through August 31: Sign up in the Hearth Room.
• Mission & Outreach Opportunities: check the Mission & Outreach page for more information.
• Transforming Families: meets the 3rd Thursday of every month.
This month we will meet on August 18. Here is a LINK to more information.
• Bible Study: second and fourth Tuesdays, 7-8:30 pm, Room 202/203. (no RSVP needed)
• Grief: A Living Experience with Jody Gyulay: first Sunday of the month, 11:45, Room 102.
• SAGE (Saint Andrew Group for Ecology) Street Clean-Up: August 21, read more on the SAGE Page.
Follow this link to listen to Previous Sermons.
Our Shalom Statement
Saint Andrew Christian Church is a shalom community; a gathered people, seeking God’s peace, justice, healing, and wholeness in every part of our lives and world.
Celebrating our diversity, rejoicing in our unity, we welcome and affirm all children of God of any color, class, sexual orientation, age, gender, ability, or thought.
As members of the family of God, we share our beliefs, doubts, struggles, and growth.
Recipients of God’s boundless grace, forgiveness, and love, we in turn offer our gifts and invite the fellowship, gifts, leadership, and spirit of all who share God’s passion for shalom.
Follow us on Twitter & visit us on Facebook!