Saturday, August 8 - "2nd Saturday" Worship Experience, 5pm on the Patio
(or Friends Hall if the weather is bad).
Sunday, August 9, 2015
Worship Times: 8:30 & 10:45 am
Christian Education: 9:30 am for Children, Youth & Adults
Scripture: John 6:35, 47-51
When I spent a summer in Kenya, I saw kids - kids, like, six years old - hanging out in the streets, sniffing glue. Their older siblings explained that it keeps them from feeling hungry. In Haiti, little ones wait anxiously while their mothers make dirt cookies for them. The cookies don't provide any nourishment, but they do fill the children's bellies.
In a world like this, sharing a loaf of bread each week as ritual can seem like luxury. And we usually have some left over at the end! We do it - we "remember" our faith in this way - because Jesus broke bread with his disciples, and called himself "the bread of life." But how does our communion really feed us? How does our gathering for a feast call us to respond away from the table, too? Come Sunday, let's think about this together. - Rev. Erika Marksbury, Associate Pastor
Also this Sunday:
• Adult Education: "Is It Good for the Family?" with Rebecca Mathews,
9:30 am in Friends Hall. (more information on the Adult Education page)
• 2nd Saturday Worship Experience - August 8: We will gather at 5pm on the Patio (Friends Hall if there is inclement weather). This service is an alternative to Sunday mornings in both style and setting. We gather at tables; sing together; share refreshments; engage in a conversational response to the message; and of course, celebrate communion. Children of all ages welcome.
• Washington Elementary; First Day of School Staff Lunch - August 12: Food & help needed (read more on the Mission page).
• Back to School Sunday - August 16: It's a big day! Kids will move up to their new grade in Sunday School. At the 10:45 service we will have backpack blessings followed by a Picnic on the Plaza at 11:45 with a bounce house and activities for the kids. This is Erika's last day so we will have a special cake in her honor. Please RSVP for the picnic (more details here).
• Thoughtful Parents - August 16: We'll meet at 9:30 am in Room 202 (more info on the Children's Page).
• Disciples 101 - August 16, 23 & 30: We will meet at 9:30am in the Pastor's Office.This class is for those wanting to learn more about the Disciples of Christ denomination and Saint Andrew Christian Church in particular. Please RSVP if you plan to attend.
• Blood Drive - August 17: SACC Blood Drive is from 3-6 in Friends Hall. The Community Blood Center will be here to collect whole blood and double red blood cell donations. The easiest way to sign up is to follow this link and pick your time slot. Look for the sign up sheet in the Hearth Room. Thank you for your support!
• Ministry Fair!! - August 23: Stop by the patio, between services for information and to sign up. There are a multitude of volunteer opportunities at Saint Andrew, from our kids & youth, to those in our community, to those in our world. Find out how to put your time and talents to use helping others. .
• Mission & Outreach Opportunities: check the Mission & Outreach page for more information.
• Bible Study: second and fourth Tuesdays, 7-8:30 pm, Room 202/203. (no RSVP needed)
• Grief: A Living Experience with Jody Gyulay: first Sunday of the month, 11:45, Room 102.
• SAGE (Saint Andrew Group for Ecology) Street Clean-Up: August 16, read more on the SAGE Page.
Follow this link to listen to Previous Sermons.
Our Shalom Statement
Saint Andrew Christian Church is a shalom community; a gathered people, seeking God’s peace, justice, healing, and wholeness in every part of our lives and world.
Celebrating our diversity, rejoicing in our unity, we welcome and affirm all children of God of any color, class, sexual orientation, age, gender, ability, or thought.
As members of the family of God, we share our beliefs, doubts, struggles, and growth.
Recipients of God’s boundless grace, forgiveness, and love, we in turn offer our gifts and invite the fellowship, gifts, leadership, and spirit of all who share God’s passion for shalom.
Follow us on Twitter & visit us on Facebook!