Saint Andrew Group
for Ecology (SAGE)
As members of Saint Andrew Christian Church, believing that the earth is God's and all life is sacred, it is with humility, awe, and wonder we seek ways to live in harmony with and as faithful stewards of God's creation.
"The Earth is God's and all that is in it, the world, and those who live in it; for God has founded it on the seas, and established it on the rivers."
SAGE Earth Day Challenge
March 22-April 22
Since this year is Earth Day's 45th anniversary, SAGE is promoting Earth Day with a month-long challenge.
Our goal is to create awareness and action for our Saint Andrew family on refusing the use of one time plastic bags.
1. We have created a poster to be displayed by the SAGE library table. Our slogan reads: REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REFUSE! The extra word REFUSE, of course, means to refuse the use of one time plastic bags.
2. A box will be placed next to the poster along with a pad of post-it notes. Each week we are asking congregants to write down the number of plastic bags they REFUSED to use that week. (One canvas bag is worth 3 refusals.)
3. To participate a person will record their number on a post-it and drop it into the box each week.
4. A SAGE volunteer will record weekly.
5. A barometer will keep track of our collective refusal week by week.
6. On Sunday, April 26, following Earth Day we will have a grand total in the Announcement page. Hopefully our barometer would have blown the top!!!
• Invest in canvas bags, reusable mesh bags or cloth bags.
• When a clerk asks you, "Paper of plastic?" say, "Neither!"
• If you forget your bag, just carry your few loose items out of the store.
Some compelling reason to stop using plastic bags:
• Less than 1 percent of plastic bags are recycled in the U.S. each year!
• During the 2009 International Coastal Cleanup, plastic bags were the 2nd most common item collected, making up 11% of all the garbage collected.
• Each year, approximately 10,000 sea turtles and other marine animals are harmed or killed by plastic in our oceans.
Earth Day aims to inspire awareness of and appreciation for earth's environment. Our SAGE challenge is a simple step to take to help our planet!
We encourage you to join in the SAGE Earth Day Challenge!!!
Street Clean Up
Now that the construction is nearing completion, we will have started Street Clean Up of our adopted stretch of 127th Street. We meet next on April 19, 4:00 pm, in the parking lot.
SAGE Library Update
The SAGE library has grown to 95 books which have been donated for your edification and enjoyment. Please sign the clipboard when you take a book and when you return it, put the card back into the book and place it on the shelf.
A must read which has been donated is Oil and Honey by Bill McKibben, well known environmentalist. This is an elegant and deeply inspiring front-row seat in the global battle against fossil companies and intensely local life. It is beautifully written.